Strawberries are hybrid species of genus Fragaria. They are popular worldwide for their aroma and bright red color. We are not sure where its name came from. Probably the word came from ‘strewn berry’. Strawberry is a beautiful red fruit, which has a particular aroma. People all over the world eat strawberries. In many cuisines all around the world, they use this fruit in salad, cakes and desserts. However, most of us do not know how healthy and beneficial fruit strawberry is.
Strawberry is a reliable source of vitamin C, manganese, vitamin B9. This fruit is fat free, increases HDL and keeps our skin healthy and clean. Strawberries have fiber than can aid digestion. From preventing cancer to keeping our immunity strong, strawberry has many health benefits.
It makes strawberries one of the most healthy and amazing fruits out there. They are tasty and healthy and also fat free. You can eat them in several ways. You can make sorbets, cakes, ice-creams, fruit salads and many other recipes out of it. Strawberries are multifaceted fruit.
Some Must-Known Facts about Strawberries:
Although strawberries have several health benefits come along with it, here are some must-known facts about this nutritious fruit-
- Strawberries are the first fruit that ripe in spring.
- A regular strawberry has 200 seeds in it. Each of the seeds can produce new plants. But they produce them in runners.
- Strawberries are not technically berries, though. They are accessory fruits.
- You know why they smell so pleasant? Because strawberry plants belong to the rose family. If you did not notice before, stop and smell a bush of strawberry.
- There is a museum in Belgium they have dedicated to strawberries. Also, ancient romans used to use the fruit as medicine.
- Strawberry plants may not produce fruit immediately. But once they do it, the plant lasts up to five years.
Top 10 Health Benefits of Strawberries:
Clearly Strawberries are useful and healthy for our body. Here is some information to give you an idea of how useful and healthy strawberries are-
- Super food: Strawberries are sweet, juicy, and fresh. They are nutrient-rich and full of antioxidants. Strawberries are super food. Its benefits are endless, and you should not miss them out.
- Immunity Booster: Strawberries are a substantial source of vitamin C. We all know vitamin C is an immunity booster. One serving cup of strawberries can fill up half of our daily requirement of vitamin C. Two cups can do 100%. To keep our body safe from diseases, strawberries are an excellent choice.
- Protector of Vision: The clouding over the eye lens, known as cataracts, is a common disease nowadays. It can lead to blindness when you reach older age. Strawberries antioxidants properties may also help you prevent cataracts. The free radicals of sun’s UV rays can damage the protein in the eye lens. Vitamin C protects our lenses from exposure to such harmful rays. It also strengthens our cornea and retina.
- Prevents Cancer: Strawberries can help us prevent cancer. It has a phytochemical, Ellagic acid. Studies have shown that this phytochemical suppresses cancer cell growth. Also, vitamin C may prevent cancer. Strawberries are full of vitamin C, Ellagic acid and antioxidants. They may prevent cancer.
- Prevents Early Aging: Vitamin C is a vital for producing collagen. Collagen helps to improve our skin’s elasticity. And it also improves skins resilience. Also, with aging we lose our natural collagen. Researchers have proven that ellagic acid prevents the loss of collagen. Strawberries are full of both of the supplements we need to prevent skin aging.
- Prevents Heart Diseases: Eating strawberries is healthy for our health. It lowers our bad cholesterol and keeps our heart’s health better. The ellagic acid and flavonoids strawberries produce can make antioxidants. Those can play an important role to keep our heart healthy. They provide anti-inflammatory effect, good for our heart’s health.
- Reduce Inflammation: Strawberries’ phytochemical and antioxidants can also help reduce inflammation. Especially of the joints. It can give relief from arthritis. This also saves you from heart disease.
- Blood Pressure: Strawberries are a dominant source of potassium. Potassium may have a role in regulating blood pressure. Potassium may also help one lower their high blood pressure. They act as a buffer to the negative effects of sodium.
- Healthy Digestion: Serving a cup of strawberries may have 2 g fiber in it. Fiber is important for healthy digestion. Lack of it may cause constipation and diverticulitis. It helps lower intake of sugar. Having a perfect amount of strawberries regularly can improve our digestion.
- Controls Sugar: Strawberries are tasty fruits even diabetes patients can enjoy. Strawberries are full of fiber, tasty and healthy. It lowers the intake of sugar in our blood. It is very good for people with diabetes type 1.
Nutrition Fact: Serving Size of Raw Strawberries (100g):
- Water: 91%
- Calories: 32
- Carbs: 7.7 grams
- Protein: 0.7 grams
- Sugar: 4.9 grams
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Fat: 0.3 grams
Various Types of Strawberries:
There are over 100 types of strawberries out there. Here is some information about the most popular ones:
- AC Valley Sunset: Andrew Jamieson started growing this breed. This is a late season breed. Its plants are less vulnerable to diseases. Its strawberries are shiny red and large. It has soft skin. They are also very popular.
- AC Wendy: Kentville Research station in Nova Scotia developed this breed. It has farm red flesh. It is wedge-shaped to conic. It has an excellent fresh flavor, and its plants are vigorous. Wendy is a highly productive and good quality breed.
- Alba: An Italian company, New Fruits developed this breed. The plant is usually rapid flowering. Alba is a very productive and good quality breed. It is resistant to root diseases. They are commercially very popular. The fruit is in a perfect shape. They have a unique juicy taste of sweet and with a hint of sourness.
- Albion: They have recently developed a new breed in California, Albion. It has pleasant looking fruits with a unique taste. The fruits are uniformly conical and bright red. They are firm and sweet. The plants are resistant to high temperature and frost. The plants are also vigorous.
Risk Factors of Strawberries:
Eating anything more than required is not healthy for our body. Although strawberries are full of goodness and health benefits, we should never eat too much of it. So, if you want to enjoy full benefits of strawberry, know its risk factors too. Here is some information to enlighten you about it-
- Risk of Diabetes: Fruits are healthy but full of sugar. A serving size of strawberries may contain 8.12 mg of sugar. Eating strawberries more than required can be risky for people with diabetes type 1.
- Too Much Pesticide: Strawberries may contain a high level of pesticide residue. Strawberries are one of those fruits that people call dirty dozen. Because they have found a high level of pesticide in it.
- High Potassium: Eating high potassium can cause nervous problems and numbness. If your kidneys are not fully functional, you should not eat too much of strawberries. Strawberries have a high level of potassium in it. It can lead to hyperkalemia.
Best Ways to Eat Strawberries:
Strawberries are healthy and tasty fruits. You can prepare them in different ways. You can have them raw or you just use one of these recipes we are giving you now-
- Strawberry Pie: Pie is one of those comforting desserts out there. It is healthy, sweet and has a full feeling.
- Fruit Salad: A classic fruit salad with some strawberry in it is a great way to start your diet.
- Pan Cakes: Adding chopped strawberries to your pancakes is the way to go!
- Cakes: Strawberries can be a great flavor for your cakes. Cheesecakes and strawberries are historically the best recipe.
- Strawberry Sorbet: Mix strawberries and sugar together. Mix them well. Chill them. Your strawberry sorbet is ready.
- Ice-Creams: Isn’t strawberry flavored ice-cream a classic?
- Muffins: Strawberry flavored muffins are one of the best things to eat as breakfast.
Researchers still recommend that the best way to eat strawberries is eating them raw. If you want to get the full benefit of strawberries, eat them raw.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Strawberries:
Q. How many Strawberries Should you Eat in a Day?
Answer: Clinical research suggests that eating just a serving of eight medium strawberries a day may improve heart health, help manage diabetes, support brain health, and reduce the risk of some cancers.
Q. Why is Strawberry Bad for You?
Answer: While strawberries are a healthful addition to any diet, people looking to eat them should do so in moderation. Fruits typically are high in sugar despite their nutritional benefits, and strawberries contain 8.12 mg of sugars per cup. There is also a risk that strawberries may contain pesticide residue.
Q. Are Strawberries Good for Your Skin?
Answer: The high amount of vitamin C found in strawberries also helps to lighten the skin. One serving of strawberries has over 50% of your daily value of vitamin C. When used topically, this amount of vitamin C can help to reduce the appearance of dark spots while also helping to make dull skin look more fresh and radiant.
Q. What Happens if I eat Strawberries Every Day?
Answer: Strawberries Help Keep You Slim. According to the Mayo Clinic, fiber helps normalize bowel movements, lower cholesterol levels, control blood sugar, maintain bowel health and achieve a healthy weight.
Q. What are 3 Cool Facts about Strawberries?
Answer: 3 Fun Facts All Strawberry Lovers Should Know
- Strawberries are the first fruit to ripen each spring.
- There are 200 seeds on an average strawberry.
- Despite their name, strawberries are not technically berries. They are accessory fruits.
Q. What Happens if you Eat too Many Strawberries?
Answer: Excessive fruit intake can also cause stomach upset in some individuals. In fact, heartburn, diarrhea, reflux, and bloating are all potential side effects of eating too much fruit, according to burning.