If you think the word ‘pepper’ only means spice, then you have to rethink about your perspectives. But, bell peppers have a milder taste in this regard. To add flavor and texture to your favorite dishes, you can use bell peppers. If they are not a part of your regular diet, then it is the time to consider about this. They have so many health benefits beyond your thoughts. Consuming bell peppers can help you to live a healthy lifestyle and feel good about yourself.
Most people know Bell pepper as a vegetable. But it is actually a fruit. Flowering plants produce it. Local people also call it as capsicum, sweet pepper. You can eat it in both raw and cooked forms. Bell peppers can keep much of its nutritional contents even after being frozen. They are rich in vitamins, nutrients and antioxidants. You can find bell peppers in several colors including red, yellow or green. Bell peppers have so many health benefits that you will feel amazing after knowing these. You can surely add bell peppers in your regular diet to get the desired health.
So, to know the amazing health benefits of bell peppers keep patience and read the article to the end.
Must known facts about Bell Peppers:
You have already known that bell peppers have a lot of health benefits. Here are some must-known facts about it.
• Yellow/ orange/ red peppers are all basically green peppers. The more they ripe, the more they change color.
• Bell peppers don’t produce any capsaicin and it is the only variety to have this quality.
• “Traffic Light Peppers” are the packages of three bell peppers, green, yellow and red.
• A large red pepper supplies more than 300% of your daily requirement of Vitamin C. It provides three times more Vitamin C than an orange.
• Bell peppers sweeten as they ripen, so red bell pepper is the sweetest of all.
• The peppers have different names including Bell peppers, Capsicum, Pepper, Papurika.
• You can eat bell peppers at any stage of its development.
• Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) utilized bell peppers as a natural cure for certain medical conditions.
TOP 10 HEALTH BENEFITS OF BELL PEPPERS:
- Support Eye Health: Bell peppers contain adequate carotenoids. It is a great support in preventing eye disease. They can also heal the injuries of your eyes. Carotenoids can absorb the damaging blue light when it enters the eye. It is helpful for your eyesight, prevent you from losing it. It also prevents cataracts and macular degeneration in your eyes. Consuming bell peppers can help you in lowering your risk of visual impairments.
- Prevention of Cancer: Carotenoids have influential antioxidant effects. It can prevent certain types of cancers. Carotenoids also deactivate free radicals in your body. These are the cell-damaging oxygen atoms that react with other molecules. Carotenoids also have sulfur which assists in preventing cancer. You will get high amounts of lycopene in red peppers. This nutrient helps in preventing cancers including prostate, cervix, bladder, and pancreas cancer. The less the oxidative stress and inflammation in your body, the more it reduces the risk.
- Boost Immunity Systems: Bell pepper is full of Vitamin C. So, it is a good boost for the immune system. You can consume 157% of the daily suggested value of Vitamin C just in one cup of red peppers. It is important for immune-supportive bioactive phytochemicals. It helps you to build up your immune system. It repairs damaged tissues. It lowers the risk of oxidative stress. Different capsicum species also have antimicrobial properties. Now you know consuming bell pepper is a great way to stay healthy.
- Anti-inflammatory: There are sufficient anti-inflammatory properties in bell papers. It reduces swelling. It also protects against osteoporosis. Studies also show that red bell peppers can prevent chronic joints and muscles inflammation. You can include bell peppers to minimize the allergic reactions in the diet of children and adults similarly. And the carotenoids in bell peppers also have an antioxidant effect. In case, you have severe inflammation and allergy then consult with a doctor and avoid self medication.
- Maintains heart Health: Bell peppers help prevent heart disease by lowering inflammation in arteries. Bell peppers contain Vitamin B6 and folate which can lower homocysteine levels and reduce the risk of heart diseases. Bell peppers also an anticoagulant. It helps in preventing the blood clots which are responsible for heart attacks. Eating raw bell peppers increases your body’s iron stores, lowering your risk of anemia.
- Digestive Health: If you have improper digestive functioning in your body, you will have diarrhea, nausea, vomiting etc. There is niacin in bell peppers that improves your digestive system. You will also find Dietary fiber in bell peppers. It helps your digestive health by adding bulk to your stools. A diet high in fiber also reduces hemorrhoids. Try adding bell peppers in your daily salads to keep your digestive problems at bay.
- Helpful for weight Loss process: The carbohydrates you consume, bell peppers have potential to turn it into energy. Bell peppers have fewer calories and zero fat content. This makes it an ideal snack option. It can be a great supplement for a main meal. So it is helpful for you to maintain your weight. And your body remains unaffected by the bad carbohydrates for consuming bell peppers in a daily basis.
- Maintain Beautiful Skin: Bell peppers are full of Vitamin E. It helps to keep your skin looking healthy and fresh. And you can have a younger-looking skin for a long time. It also helps to keep it clear of blemishes. It also makes your hair more durable and more vibrant. The bell pepper hair treatment will promote your hair growth and health. It also helps in improving blood circulation on your head. But, make sure to avoid contacting with eyes or other exposed mucous membranes.
- Lowering Cholesterol levels: Bell peppers have roughly 40% soluble fiber in it. It helps to promote healthy cholesterol level in body. Bell peppers have lower amount of capsaicin comparing to other species. But it can decrease the hardening of arteries. It also can reverse obesity. It can lower blood pressure. It can reduce stroke risk as well. This is all possible because of lowering the cholesterol level I n your body.
- Manage diabetes: Capsaicin has a positive effect on obesity and diabetes. And bell peppers are source of capsaicin. The component of bell peppers can lower the glucose levels in cases of type 1 diabetes. Bell peppers are also good for dietary management of type 2 diabetes. Bell peppers can slow down the absorption of sugar into your bloodstream. Yellow bell pepper is good in controlling blood sugar in diabetics. It also lowers the risk of diabetes. And for diabetes, raw bell peppers are better than the cooked ones.
NUTRITION: PER 100 GRAMS OF bell peppers CONTAINS:
• Total Calories: 30
• Total Fat: 0.2 gm
• Carbohydrates: 9 gm
• Protein: 2 gm
• Sodium: 7 mg
• Potassium: 340 mg
• Cholesterol: 0 mg
• Vitamin C: 211 %
• Iron: 6 %
• Vitamin B6: 15 %
• Vitamin A: 23 %
• Magnesium: 6 %
TYPES OF BELL PEPPERS:
Peppers have many varieties. But bell peppers are just different in colors. So do their characteristics.
Green Bell Pepper: It is unripe and less sweet and bitter. Its nutrient concentration is much lower.
Yellow Bell Pepper: It is ripe and sweeter and less bitter. Its nutrient concentration is much higher.
Orange Bell Pepper: It is ripe and sweeter and less bitter. Its nutrient concentration is much higher.
Red Bell Pepper: It is ripe and sweeter and less bitter. Its nutrient concentration is much higher.
RISKS OF CONSUMING TOO MUCH BELL PEPPER:
Generally bell peppers are safe to consume. But you should consume it in limited amounts. One may suffer from the side effects of eating too many bell peppers. Here are some of them:
• You can feel nausea.
• You can have burning sensation
• You may suffer from stomach pain.
• You can also have indigestion.
• You can have loose stools.
• Some people who have pollen allergy can be sensitive to bell peppers. It can happen due to allergic cross reactivity in their body.
• You might be sneezing a lot and have watery eyes.
WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO EAT: FRESH BELL PEPPERS
Bell peppers are rich in nutrition, vitamins and fibers. When you consume bell peppers, it helps you to get healthy in many different ways. For changing your flavor, you should eat different colors of bell peppers. Just mix it and make a colorful dish for yourself. Make sure to add it in your daily diet to get the perfect outcome.
HERE ARE A FEW WAYS TO EAT BELL PEPPER:
- Stuffed bell peppers: Stuff your bell peppers and make your own mixture of foods and seasoning. Just bake and taste it.
- Roasted bell peppers: Roast your bell peppers with chicken, meat or fish. Add some seasonings and brush it with olive oil. You can enjoy the dish with fresh smoothies.
- Sizzling bell peppers: Dice your bell peppers. Toss it in the wok. And make a stir-fried meal. You can also toss it into pizza before baking, into pasta sauce as it cooks.
- Stacked bell peppers: You can stack slices of any color bell pepper on wraps and sandwiches. It will give the dish an extra crunch, color, flavor and nutrition.
- Use bell peppers to add texture: Bell peppers are an easy addition to main dishes. You can try them in pasta, soups, stews, or chicken or salads. Make your own recipe however you like to eat.
There are so many recipes on bell peppers that it won’t be difficult for you to make a delicious dish. You can eat it raw by adding it to salads on a regular basis.
FREQUENTLY ASKS QUESTIONS:
1. Is it good to eat a bell pepper regularly?
Answer: Yes, it is good to consume on a regular basis. And it is a nourishing fruit for your health.
2. Does eating bell pepper make you gain weight?
Answer: As bell peppers are not high in calories, it doesn’t make you gain weight that much.
3. Which color bell pepper is the healthiest to eat?
Answer: Red bell pepper is the healthiest of all to consume. It stays in the vine for a long time.
4. How can you tell if a pepper is a male or a female?
Answer: Male peppers have three bumps and female peppers have four bumps.
5. Are wrinkled bell peppers good to eat?
Answer: Yes, it is okay to eat wrinkled bell pepper. But they are not so good when you are eating them raw. You can cook it moderately before consuming it.
6. Is it better to eat bell peppers raw or cooked?
Answer: It is better to eat a raw bell pepper. You already know that bell peppers contain a lot Vitamin C. And heat can easily destroy Vitamin C. However, you can cook bell pepper until they are tender crisp. It retains much more nutrients than those that are cooked for a long time.