A cholesterol test is a test of measuring the blood lipids. Cholesterol is nothing but lipids. When the natural level of lipid crosses then different kinds of diseases search a chance to attack and it is said that high cholesterol rate is the culprit for world most dangerous diseases.
The high cholesterol level in blood does not appear you any specific symptoms but it may reach you in very dangerous point. Atherosclerosis caused by high cholesterol level in blood. If your cholesterol level becomes high it deposits the fat around the arteries which hampers the blood circulation. Atherosclerosis increases the risk of heart attack and heart blockage, high blood pressure and high blood sugar that means diabetes.
Types of Cholesterol:
Lipoprotein contains in the blood carries a large amount of fat so it cannot go easily through the heart. Generally four types of lipoproteins are found. They are:
• Low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol – bad cholesterol, less than 100 mg/dL
• High-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol- good cholesterol, 60 mg/dL or higher
• Triglycerides a (exceptional) — very low density lipoprotein (VLDL), less than 150 mg/dL
• Total cholesterol
Causes of high cholesterol:
There are many reasons which gather a large amount of cholesterol in your blood. Here are some for example, you may match with them.
• A diet habit of low quality may turn you to have more cholesterol
• Lack of physical exercise
• Smoking and drinking more alcohol that you are recommended
• Imbalance in your weight and height ratio
• Age and sex are also important as cholesterol increases with increasing the age and varies man to woman
• If family members have or had high cholesterol, you may also have it.
Cholesterol ratio= total cholesterol/HDL number
Here, HDL= High-density lipoprotein
If total cholesterol is 200 and HDL is 90
So, cholesterol ratio=200/90 or 2.22. The ideal ratio is 3.5 and experts suggest you to keep it under 5.
When You Check Your Cholesterol Level?
Though high cholesterol level in your blood does not show you any specific symptoms, some diseases indicate you to test your cholesterol level as early as possible. If you have any one of the following, please check your cholesterol level soon.
• Impaired glucose tolerance
• A cardiovascular disease
• Very high lipid levels
• Long-term kidney disease.
Consequences of High Cholesterol Level :
The consequences of high cholesterol may herm you extremely.
High cholesterol level increases the risk of heart disease, diabetes and high blood sugar which is very harmful for your existence. Some serious consequences resulting of high cholesterol level are following:
• Atherosclerosis-chest pain, shortness of breath, numbness or pain in limbs
• Angina-the chest tightening and pain
• Heart Attack
• Peripheral Artery Disease
• High Blood Pressure
Cholesterol Home Test Kit:
You can test your Cholesterol level at home using Cholesterol Home Test Kit. Just take it from a medicine shop. First prick your finger with the lancet. Now place the blood droplet on the test strip. After a while the chemicals change the blood color. The particular color shows you the Cholesterol level in your blood. Some new test kits offer new automatic electronic machine.